This delicious Sicilian pizza is not your typical pizza. The crust is thicker and the pizza is a bit more dry with a nice crunch (typical Sicilian style). Easy to make and using few ingredients, perfect for any beginner-in-the-kitchen to try!
500 g flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 cups tomato sauce, warm
1 sachet brewer's yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
2.5cups warm water
1.5 cups mozzarella, shredded or diced
Various toppings you'd like
1. Combine the flour, brewer's yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
2. Separately in a large bowl, combine the warm water and olive oil. Stir and begin to incorporate the flour a handful at a time. Half way through the flour, add a teaspoon of salt and continue to stir.
3. Once the dough is sticky but very dense, cover with Saran-wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume. Apprx. 2 hours.
4. After the dough has risen, prepare a baking sheet and oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Generously prepare your hands with olive oil and work the dough over the pan.
6. Pour the warm tomato sauce on dough and let rise another 10minutes in a warm place (not cooking it).
7. After rising time, add toppings and ingredients to your liking and bake for 25minutes.
8.Remove from heat. Slice and serve.
Recipe adapted from Fatto In Casa da Benedetta.